Tuesday, November 1

Lady's Thumb ~ Sweet Shot Tuesday


This small, dainty (about the length of my thumb and a foot in stem length) has a somewhat odd name. The name Lady’s Thumb comes from a spot on the leaves that supposedly looks as if a lady pressed her (very dirty?) thumb against it. This spot helps distinguish Lady’s Thumb from some of its relatives that are native to North America.


Lady’s Thumb (Persicaria maculosa) is a member of the Buckwheat family, and it counts rhubarb and buckwheat among its more illustrious relatives.


These are found all over the United States. I took this shot on one of Spencer and my walks this summer. One of my favorites too!

I linked up with Sweet Shot Day

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It is the first time I am seeing the Lady's Thumb Sheri! Beautiful shot. Have a good Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Beautiful picture! I've never seen one before!

I found you on the Give a Hoot blog hop! I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll check me out!

Kalista
www.whenwereathome.blogspot.com

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Beautiful picture! Have a great day!

Tracey Leeder said...

Ive never seen or heard of this plant, but it is gorgeous! Your shot of it is wonderful!

Icy BC said...

I have been photographing this beautiful thing for the last two years, but couldn't find the name. So thank you for the name.

Yours is beautiful and fantastic.

Sheri said...

Thank you all very much. It's a tiny plant, easy to overlook.

@Icy BC, it sometimes takes me hours to find the name of something I have photographed. Can get frustrating but I refuse to give up! Glad I could help.