Friday, November 25

Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats ~ Christmas Gift Idea

 recipe from dogtreatrecipes.org

If your dog is anything like our pug, then you know how fast they can go through dog treats. Garbage disposal comes to mind... We like to reward Dexter for being a good boy or for just being his silly self and making us laugh when he tries some new stunt and fails miserably. 

I got the idea to make him some homemade treats after I saw how fast he demolished any store bought treat. This can get quite expensive and the thought of a healthy option for our garbage disposal sounded like a good idea too. 

These treats are so easy to make. They would be a great gift too for the fur babies in your life. Around here, even silly pugs get Christmas stockings.

Great activity for the kids to help out with too! They will feel proud making their own Christmas gifts and there is nothing better than spending more time with Spencer helping in the kitchen for me.




Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup peanut butter (smooth only, please)
1 cup milk


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking pan.


In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder and oatmeal. Mix well. Add peanut butter and milk. Stir  until dough forms.


Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it and then roll it out until it's about 1/4 of an inch thick. Break out your cute dog bone cookies cutters or a pizza cutter and cut the dough into desired shape and size. 

My cute helper

Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. 


Cool before spoiling your fur baby. 


Store in an airtight container or reusable freezer bag. Amount made from recipe depends on the size of your cookie cutters. I used standard size cutters and made about 24.





Dexter approved!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow! My dogs, Dobie and Waggy, would love this! I can see that Dexter was ready for his treat!:) Take care and a wonderful weekend to you and your family Sheri!

Kati said...

The face of your dog! Priceless! He really looks adorable.

Debbie said...

Awwwwww. DEXTER! hahaha
so cute.
This is a really good idea - thanks for posting this recipe. I will file this away for the future.

Adjunkie said...

Dexter is my hero! :)

MsFoxsSweets said...

Great recipe! I have been looking for recipes to make my furbaby for Christmas and have pinned this one so I remember! Thanks for posting.

Sheri said...

Judy, I bet they would! Same to you my sweet friend.

Haha, thanks, Kati.

Adjunkie, Dexter will be thrilled with this. LOL!

Thanks for stopping by Debbie and MrsFoxsSweets.