Friday, November 4

Wisconsin Autumn Sunrise

I think one of the most overlooked areas in photography may be the sky. It could be that due to the vastness of the subject, most captures rarely pick up what the eye is actually seeing and the photos fail to show the depth of the clouds or the amazingly vibrant colors tend to be flat. 

The sky, just like the weather, here in Wisconsin changes often. Clear blue skies can change to dark clouds in a matter of minutes and then change back as if it never happened. To be honest, I found this a great challenge. At first I was so frustrated, trying to capture color, depth and clarity of what was an amazing sky. My eyes saw so much, my camera processed so little.

After many many many attempts to find the settings I needed, I was finally rewarded with some results. You'd be surprised what a good point and shoot can do once it's user learns a few things. I used my Canon point and shoot for these, not my DSLR.

 I changed my white balance setting to Tungsten (which I rarely use). I disabled my flash and set my ISO at about 800 (to let more natural light into my camera). I also used Landscape focus mode in my manual program settings. That is why the background is more clear (farther away) than the tree branches (closer). 


 Again white balance set to Tungsten, flashed disabled, ISO changed to 600 and Macro focus settings used. Nothing here is really in great focus, color is a little more skewed. Depth is still here but in a much softer way.


Lastly, white balance setting changed to Vivid, flash enabled, ISO 400 and Manual focus used. Everything but the sky is more detailed, colors fairly accurate too.

I did not use zoom on these. I find when taking more of a landscape, sky shot it rarely picks up depth and most often really skews colors.

Maybe some of these tips will help you? I hope so! These settings will also work with a DSLR and most lenses. 

I can't choose a favorite, I like them all for different reasons. What's yours?

Oh and Happy Friday! Thanks so much for stopping by!

I linked up with Skywatch Friday.

14 comments:

Saun said...

Great shot love the composition

Tami Weingartner said...

I'm crushing on that first shot! Gorgeous!

Antonina said...

Wonderful photos

Linnea said...

They're all lovely. You captured my favorite kind of sky: dark, dramatic tones in the background highlighted by a burst of bright sunlight in the foreground. You're lucky to have such changing skies. Ours here in NorCal are usually just sky blue, but yesterday we did finally get a touch of rain. Enjoy the skies and your camera.

Bob ButterBottom said...

I like them all a lot. But I like the first one the best. I think they are all wide sweeping shots that really capture the landscape, but I think the tree in the foreground in the second and third shot gets in the way a tad. But they are all gorgeous.

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Such a beautiful shot!!

Leola - Southshoreartist said...

I love the changing sky and paint it often!!!!! You have captured the sky wonderfully in these photos. Thanks for sharing
p.s. Wisconsin looks like Saskatchewan

Unknown said...

I think the first is my favorite. Such a beautiful picture.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Doesn't get any better than this with a point & shoot! You have a great technique.

Jeannette StG said...

love you showed the different settings!

Barbara said...

They are all lovely, but I like the middle one for the contrast in the tree, the dark/light balance and the moodiness. It's a helpful illustration of camera settings too.

SultanStyle.com said...

Love them Sheri. Nice job. They look amazing.

Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes said...

That is not only one heck of a view, but three very cool views of the same scene. I like the different settings. I love the sky, and my kiddo's and I still lie on the driveway and look up watching the clouds go by. I hope that never changes.
I love these pictures!

Sheri said...

You are all so wonderful for your kind comments. So glad others appreciate nature too!