Monday, October 31

Happy Halloween

 We love Halloween at our house. We usually decorate the whole house with spooky fun decorations and I make themed food as often as I can get away with it. 


I don't dwell on what some people belief's of what Halloween in the philosophical sense may mean and it's impact on religion. For me it is about the fun, the dressing up and the spookiness behind it. The way communities come together to help our children have a fun filled, safe night to dress up as their favorite characters and eat as much candy as they want! I don't let all the other nonsense affect me or take the fun out of it.  While I do respect people who don't participate in Halloween, I don't understand their stance in holding on to long ago dissipated, mostly forgotten evils.  


I do belief in the creepy, scary and whole ghoulishness behind it though. When I am searching for ideas for a costume I have to laugh at all the nasty tacky costumes out there for woman. I can't imagine dressing up as a Hooter's server or a vampire in a tight mini with sparkles. That's not Halloween, that's vanity and lack of imagination. Face paint is a favorite of mine and my sister and I have come up with some really fantastic "faces" over the years. One year we dressed as witches, think The Wizard of Oz, to hand out candy and no one recognized us! That's Halloween to me.


Spencer's pumpkin this year. Didn't he do great? I love it!

Spencer brought this home from school. Haven't heard this one before. Kind of gross!


Here are a couple of Spencer's past costumes. A ninja and a pirate. I haven't gotten him a costume the last few years as he doesn't understand it at all and it is stressful for him. I can't see forcing him to do something that I want even if he is as cute as can be! This is one of the few times that I wish his special needs allowed him more comprehension. I honestly don't want to change him but I would love to have him willingly participate and have fun with it. It would be so wonderful to have him excited to pick out a costume and want to go trick or treating. Oh well, guess I'll have to dress the pug up instead. He'll do anything for a hotdog!



Do you celebrate Halloween? If so, share some of your traditions or stories with me. I would love to hear them.


Happy Halloween from our house to yours!

4 comments:

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Look at Spencer. How cute is he!! I love that pumpkin he did- he has mad skills!

Unknown said...

Hi Sheri,
It is interesting reading this post about Halloween and seeing all the pictures. Here in Jamaica some persons have Halloween parties and dress up in costumes. In recent weeks I have learnt a lot more about Halloween from Blogs. Take care and Happy Halloween to you and your family.
Judy

Theresa said...

Hi Sheri, Happy Halloween! Sammie is going to be a witch. I finished her costume & posted it. Last year she was a vampire. She loves pretending, dressing up & of course the candy!!
Have a safe, fun time!

Mommy Bags said...

Sheri happy Halloween yep Halloween is a scary event here no glitter to be found especially on a hooter costume...ewwwww