Thursday, September 22

Taco Dip



I have taken this dip to many gatherings over the years and it never fails me. I rarely come home with any left! It's great for movie and game night too.


Ingredients:


1 can refried beans
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 (8 oz.) sour cream
1 pkg, dry taco seasoning mix
1 jar taco sauce, medium
1 jar taco sauce, hot
1 (8 oz) brick of medium cheddar cheese
lettuce
tomatoes


Spread can of refried beans evenly on bottom of 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan or casserole dish.


In small bowl, beat together softened cream cheese and sour cream until well blended, add taco seasoning mix and stir well. 


Add taco sauce, medium, in small doses until mixture becomes creamy. (There is nothing worse than breaking off chips in a dip, so your goal is to soften it just enough that the chips won't break, but you don't want the mixture to become runny.) Add small doses of taco sauce, hot, to your liking. If you don't prefer spicy, skip this step. We love spicy! Taste test it as you go along to get it just right. Spread mixture evenly across refried beans.


Grate cheddar cheese and spread evenly on top of cream cheese/sour cream layer. Lightly press cheese into cream cheese/sour cream layer with the bottom of a spoon. (This will help keep the cheese in place when scooping it up with chips.) I can't stress enough how much better this will taste if you grate your own cheese instead of using prepackaged shredded.


Chop desired amount of lettuce and spread evenly over cheese layer.


Dice desired amount of tomatoes; sprinkle on lettuce.


Chill minimum of 2 hours before serving. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.


A lot of potential to customize this to your tastes. If you don't care for refried beans, just skip that step and it will still taste delicious. Also adding onions or scallions as a topping or black olives. We have even used Paint Thinner (spice) to really kick up the hotness factor.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is my husbands all time favorite thing to eat when I make it for parties. I always have to save some of the ingred to assemble another one just for us the next day.

PS...I add black olives to mine! YUM!

Kimberly Gauthier, Dog Nutrition Blogger for Keep the Tail Wagging said...

Looks yummy. I've always wanted to try a taco dip.

MariaS said...

Oh my! This looks absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making it soon. Thank you for sharing!

Sheri said...

@Karen, I love black olives but John does not. :(

Hope you try it, Kimberly.

Thank you, Maria!

AO said...

this is awesome Sheri! i love tacos, dips and spicy food! the spicier the better! thanks again for sharing a winning recipe! c",)

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

I need to try this. Perhaps for the football games this weekend.

Bob ButterBottom said...

After 9 years of marriage, Laura finally made me a taco dip last weekend. It got to be some sort of power struggle / a big joke in the house. I'd ask, she'd say no, I'd ask why, I don't even remember why. But she finally made it. She thought it was missing something, so I'll pass this along.

Unknown said...

This looks sooo good! Thanks for sharing.

I'm a new follower and would love it if you could follow me back at http://www.ifonlylifecouldbethatsimple.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
Rebecca

Erin Branscom said...

I am going to make this! This looks great! :) Erin

Unknown said...

Yummy!

Hi! Im so happy to be following you and your blog!
I hope you will follow me back and we can become bloggy friends :)
Have a lovely day!
~meg~

A Meg Moment
http://agemmoment.blogspot.com/