Tuesday, September 20

Chocolate Torte




I love torte! This recipe is not only fun to make but is extremely delicious! I was pressed for time with company coming, so I used a box cake mix but if you have your own dark chocolate recipe, please use that in place of the boxed instructions below.


Ingredients:


1 (18.25 oz) dark chocolate cake mix (I used Extra Moist Dark Chocolate by Duncan Hines)
2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese.
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (1 oz.) square, unsweetened chocolate (for decoration)
1 Tbls. shortening




Prepare and bake chocolate cake as directed on box. Bake in 2-9 inch round pans. Cool. After completely cooled, cut each cake in half with a serrated knife, making four equal layers.


In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat until soft.


In a separate bowl, whip heaving whipping cream into soft peaks, then fold into cream cheese mixture.


Put one layer of cake on a plate or serving tray. Spread 1/4 of filling on cake layer, including sides. Continue this step until all layers are covered, stacking them.  


Refrigerate before serving.


The end result is so good but this torte is not all that pretty when finished. I decided to dress it up a bit by saving a small amount of filling and using my large star tip on my dessert decorator to edge around the top. I also made some chocolate curls.


Chocolate Curls:

1 (1 oz) square unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbls. shortening

Microwave at intervals, stirring in between until melted.
Spread melted chocolate in the thinnest layer possible on back of cookie sheet.
Put in freezer for 2-3 minutes.
Use spatula to roll chocolate into curls.









7 comments:

McGillicutty said...

seriously... bring that over here and let me taste it... looks scrumdiliupmtious!!!!

Sheri said...

It really is too. I save you some from the next one, we completely devoured this one!

Ann Jones said...

Your cake looks delicious! My cakes always seem to never photograph as well as they taste :) Now I want cake!

Quirky Homemaker said...

It's official. I'm gonna have to stop going to blogs today. I'll get fat! this looks so yummy! You're making me hungry!

Natalie Naomi said...

Looks wonderfuly impressive. Definitely one of those things you take to a party and get lots of oohhh and ahhhs!

Mark said...

OMG that looks delicious, problem with cakes and me once I start i can't stop, just looking at that cake makes me start drooling and want some of it.

Sheri said...

@Frugal, I need better lighting indoors for my food photos. BAD!

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone!