Thursday, June 21

Mexican Rice


Our local Mexican restaurant has the most amazing menu. I have a hard time choosing what to order as it is all delicious. No matter what I do finally decide on, I always take an a la carte Mexican rice home. They have the best rice, a little drier with all the right seasonings. 


I have been trying for about a year now to replicate it. I made some pretty fantastic rice dishes but none close enough. Until this one. In fact, without blowing my own horn here, I think this one is a little bit better. Now I can have it whenever I want!


Ingredients:
2 TBLS. olive oil
2 cups long grain rice
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt


Heat oil in a large skillet and brown rice over medium heat. Add chopped onions and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.


Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff rice and cover fir an additional 5 minutes.


*If you like your rice a little less tender, reduce simmer time to 15 minutes and do not fluff and cook for the additional 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i love mexican rice when it is done right...too often it is a "throw away"...now i am craving mexican food for lunch...darn you ;)

Unknown said...

Have you ever put Goya Achiote con cuilantro in yer rice? You can find it in the Hispanic section of most grocery stores now. THAT'S the secret!

Sheri said...

Sorry Christy! :P

Unknown, I have not but now you have piqued my curiosity. I will have to try it, thanks!