Wednesday, February 8

Easy Skillet Potatoes and Kielbasa



I will start this recipe off with a disclaimer. There are sure to be healthier and more varied versions of this recipe. This is my version and how we like it. We like margarine, like in major amounts. I use butter in my baking but always use margarine in my cooking. This is a basic, full of flavor, weeknight easy recipe for us. Stick to your gut food and boy is it good!

Ingredients:
3 lbs. russet potatoes
1 ring of kielbasa
1 1/2 - 2 sticks margarine
Lawry's seasoning salt
onion salt
garlic salt
salt and pepper to taste

Spray large skillet with non stick spray or olive oil. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4 inch disks. Place potatoes in skillet and top with 1 stick of margarine, cut into smaller squares. Sprinkle entire top with Lawry's. Using lesser amounts, sprinkle with onion and garlic salt. Without stirring, cover and heat on med - low heat for a minimum of 20 minutes. 

After about 20 minutes, remove cover and stir gently. Cut kielbasa into 1/4 inch circles and add to skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking.

Cover and heat another 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. As potatoes become more tender, make sure to stir as gently as possible to keep them from breaking up. 

Test potatoes with a fork for tenderness and also add additional seasoning if needed. At this point, I may also add some more margarine slices if I feel it needs them. I usually do!

Serve immediately and be ready for the second helping requests.




*note: I use yellow potatoes (not gold) whenever I can find them at my local grocer. When I do, I add less seasonings as the yellow potatoes have their own amazing flavor. I also cut down the cooking time by 5-10 minutes per step. Yellow potatoes are less dense and will turn mushy if cooked too long. 

3 comments:

Nicole said...

For the record, there is nothing wrong with mushy potatoes unless you want your food to look pretty ;) Just kidding.
This looks SO good and I love how super easy it is!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

I love that you make it a bit healthier using margarine. I always use butter because that's what I have on hand. I go to Costco and buy 4 pounds of butter every time I'm there but I should really stock up on some margarine. Thanks for the tip.

And this looks delicious! Can't wait to give this a try.

Sheri said...

OH I like mushy potatoes too. The best are the ones at the bottom of the pan. LOL!

I buy so much margarine; the more, the better. :)

Thanks for stopping by!