Friday, December 30

Ranch Ham 'n' Cheese Pasta ~ Lowfat Version


We have so much ham leftover from Christmas. I can't stand to see it go to waste, yet all of us have already had our fair share of ham sandwiches and the platter hardly had a dent in it. Taste of Home came to my rescue with this pasta recipe that our whole family just loved. I found it in the December/January 2011 issue. I have yet to make a Taste of Home recipe that wasn't just short of amazing. All from scratch from cooks, moms, grandmother's and bakers who really know how to put together flavors with everyday ingredients. 


My best friend got me a subscription a few years ago for a Christmas gift and it's one of the best gifts ever! Perfect for me and I plan on returning the favor to her...ssshhhh.


My picky eater ate 2 platefuls in record time. He continues to surprise me and I love it. 


This is a lighter version in not only calories, but fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. 


Ingredients:
1 pkg. (16 oz) penne pasta
1 Tbls. butter
1 Tbls. all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free milk
2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup (8 oz) reduced fat sour cream
2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
1-1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese


Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. In a Dutch Oven (large kettle), melt butter, whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.


Reduce heat; fold in sour cream until blended. Add ham and pasta; cook until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in Mexican cheese blend until melted. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.


Take a bite, savor and repeat!

3 comments:

Kalpesh said...

This article is wonderful as it helps me to get the sort of information that i needed.I am thankful as i got your article when was searching dog treat

Amber said...

That looks so yummy!

I tagged you in a post!

http://ambergioiasmith.blogspot.com/2012/01/tag.html

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Looks so yummy! Yah for low fat too!