Thursday, May 10

Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting


I simply cannot deny anything banana. It just won't happen. This is a classic banana cake recipe that pairs moist delicious cake with a smooth but flavorful frosting that will melt in your mouth. I took a couple of my favorite recipes, moved a few things around and after my first bite knew this was "the cake". I wouldn't change a thing. 


Don't worry about the frosting. I didn't mix mine quite enough just for effect. Don't you just want to reach through your screen and lick all those drips? Either that or just come over to my house. I do share.


Cake:
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
4 TBLS. butter, room temperature
5 very ripe bananas, about 1 cup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda


Vanilla Bean Frosting:
4 TBLS. butter, softened
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.


To make cake:
Cream together sugar, sour cream, eggs, and butter.  Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract.  Add flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well.  Pour into greased 9"x13" cake pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool completely before frosting.

To make frosting:
Cream butter and confectioner's sugar together until smooth.  Slowly add the heavy cream; stir until smooth.  Stir in the vanilla.  Mix very well and until frosting starts to thicken. Spread on cooled cake. 

No comments: